Spring is well and truly here and what better time to have a good clear out. Decluttering your home really can transform your life, but it can be incredibly daunting to know where to start and finding the time to dedicate to it. We often start with the best intentions but life so often gets in the way!
Our lives are hectic and setting aside a full day or even several days to declutter your home can seem almost impossible, particularly if you are tackling it alone. Yes, it goes against what some organizers will say but in reality, this isn’t an option for everyone.
A short but focused 20-minute session each day. It doesn’t sound a lot but stick with it and it’s amazing what can be achieved in the space of a week.
Follow these steps to break the process down into manageable chunks:
- Start today. Don’t wait for a new week or new year to begin the process.
- Identify which area bothers you the most and start with this, whether it’s cluttered bedside tables or a kitchen cupboard.
- Start with a small area and something that isn’t too challenging- leave the sentimental items for now. These areas are easier to tackle once you are in the swing of things.
- Empty the cupboard/ small space completely. It will make you realise what and how much you are storing. It’s also a good opportunity to give it a good clean!
- Visualise how you want the cupboard/ area/ room to look and keep this in mind when deciding what to keep, donate to charity or a friend, sell, recycle or discard.
- Before you put everything back, consider how you want to store things. I like to use baskets and containers to store similar items and make them easy to find.
- Make sure you set a timer and stop after 20 minutes